1 unit, P/NP, class number: 24220
Are you a student who wants to earn a unit for reading Exit West and participating in On the Same Page this fall? If so, L&S 10 is the course for you.
Here are the course requirements
Here are the course requirements:
- Read Exit West.
- (Optional): participate in a virtual book group. Once we know who is in the class we will form groups in similar time zones to get together two to three times during the semester to discuss segments of the novel.
- Post a substantive response to the novel on bcourses. Your response can take any of a number of forms, from a short essay to a video to a song or a Prezi . . . be creative!
- Comment (on bcourses) on at least three other students’ responses to the book.
- Attend two online synchronous class meetings on Tuesday evenings from 6:30-8:00. The dates for fall 2020 will be September 22 and November 10. In order to pass the class you must attend both class meetings, so make sure your Tuesday evenings are clear. If you live in a time zone that makes these synchronous meetings very difficult, speak to the instructor about an alternative assignment.
- Attend at least two qualifying events related to Exit West, and submit a short response to each on bcourses. Qualifying events include the keynote. on August 21, any film in the Exit West film series co-sponsored by On the Same Page and the Pacific Film Archive, and a panel based on the No Place Like Home performance. Details will appear soon on this site and on the On the Same Page events page. If you missed the keynote you can watch the video instead–it will be posted in September.
- Comment (on bcourses) on at least three other students’ responses to each event.
On the Same Page is designed to welcome you into the intellectual community at Cal. We firmly believe that interacting with faculty–and with other students–around a topic of mutual interest is one of the best ways to ensure the quality of your education. All of the activities required for L&S 10 will be fun and interactive and educational. You will be glad you participated!
Our hope is that participating fully in On the Same Page will be so rewarding that you will continue to seek out enrichment opportunities throughout your undergraduate years at Cal.